BIG JAMBOX

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

BIG JAMBOX
Jawbone Member
Mugz
0 Kudos

Big Jambox Pairs with my pc's fine but no sound

I am able to pair & listen to my Big Jambox fine with my Android... My pc's are another story... I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite running W7 purchased in 2010) & a desktop (Dell Studio W7 purchased in 2010). 

I initially was unable to get either machine to see the Jambox when attempting to add Bluetooth devices & was advised to get a Bluetooth adapter. I purchased a Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth Adapter (provides Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity) installed it successfully & now am able to find the Big Jambox on both pc's but I can NOT get sound out of the Jambox wirelessly (If I plug the Jambox into my speakers I get sound with fine - but with crackles).

I have tried reinstalling the Bluetooth adapter & readding the Jambox multiple times but no luck getting sound.

I spoke to Jambox cust care & tried again unsuccessfully. The rep had me check Hardware & Sound. When we discovered I could not see anything regarding Bluetooth under the "Playback" tab of Sound settings I was advised to contact Rocketfish to make sure the Bluetooth Adapter supports A2DP & AVRCP. I confirmed with Rocketfish that my adapter does infact support A2DP & AVRCP. 

The Rocketfish cust care person confirmed the Bluetooth adapter supports A2DP/AVRCP & proceeded to tell me there may be a problem with my computer's themselves...

I have a hard time believing my pc's are the problem... I have installed many apps & devices on both my desktop & laptop without much, if any, trouble until now... 

Can someone throw me a bone? I purchased the Big Jambox for it's wireless capabilities & would love to listen to music, etc. wirelessly via my Big Jambox on my laptop & desktop.

Please Help!

Thanks!

Jawbone Member
Mugz
0 Kudos

Re: Big Jambox Pairs with my pc's fine but no sound

Hmm... Never heard of The Nerd but just looked into it. Do I need The Nerd & the Blue Tooth Adapter both? Starting to get cumbersome & expensive...

So if it IS my pc that is the problem then what's the cause? My Image? Hardware? Would love to get some more feedback... 

Jawbone tech support??? Anyone else out there??? Please, please, please provide more feedback

Jawbone Nerd
macatari

As you know, Jambox connects to devices uses Bluetooth.  For playing stereo audio, there are two protocols to understand: A2DP and AVRCP.  A2DP plays audio only; AVRCP plays audio and allow for control of volume, play/pause, etc.  The Big Jambox really wants AVRCP.  But Jambox is also a speaker phone.  That means it can connect using a third (non-audio) headset protocol which I think is HSP.

After your Jambox connects to your PC, you need to make sure the correct protocol is selected.  For example, although you can play audio through the HSP protocol, it will sound terrible.  It won't be stereo and it will be heavily compressed; ideal for a phone call perhaps but poor for music.  The way to choose the protocol is usually in the audio settings of Windows.  There might be something that says "Jambox Stereo" vs. "Jambox Headset" or something similar.

There is no logical reason why the Jambox would have difficulty connecting to any device that supports Bluetooth AVRCP, but a lot of that depends on how your Bluetooth is installed and configured.  I don't use PCs, but I've not had any trouble connecting and playing audio to my Jambox from either of my two Macs, my iPad or my iPhone using Bluetooth.  With that said, Jawbone did release the 2.2 update for the little Jambox which supposedly improved connectivity on OS X Lion, so maybe the Jambox firmware could be an issue.

Perhaps you might try another Bluetooth audio device with your PC?  If that also gives you trouble then you'll know it's something with your PC.  If it works fine, then it's time to suspect the Jambox.

JawboneAlex
Topics: 59
Kudos: 505
Solutions: 410
0 Kudos

Hi macatari!

Thanks for always helping out in the forum. Your insight and suggestions are really great. You make our community a better place!

JawboneAlex 

Giving Kudos is a great way to thank the community!

Jawbone Member
Windoze

I had the same issue using an Azio Bluetooth 2.0 adapter I had lying around. Tried it on two different PCs with the same problem.

It worked after I did two things.

1. Turn on Audio Sink. Click on the Bluetooth icon in the systray (area by the clock on the taskbar) and go to "show bluetooth devices." Right click on the Jambox and go to properties. In the "services" tab, check the Audio Sink box and hit apply.

2. Make sure the Jambox is selected as the PC's default playback device. Click on the "sound" section of the control panel. The Jambox should now show up here. Click it and select set as default.

Audio sounds kinda scratchy over bluetooth in my opinion, but it might just be my bluetooth adapter.

Jawbone Member
Frank28

Hello everyone,

I believe I've found how to use the big jambox with a pc bluetooth connection.

Pair the big jambox with the PC as you normaly would,once paired right click the "BIG JAMBOX BY JAWBONE" under "devices and printers" andclick properties.under services tab add a check next to "Audio Sink" and also make sure theres a check mark next to "Serial port (spp). Click apply at the bottom. (your computer will install a driver). Next click "OK". Next double click the "BIG JAMBOX BY JAWBONE" under "devices and printers" and click connect. GIVE HER A TEST AND LET ME KNOW!

Frank

Jawbone Newbie
KENTGU3
0 Kudos

Thanks Frank. Worked perfect with my windows 8 HP laptop

Jawbone Newbie
ucfknights90
0 Kudos

Hello,

This information has gotten me a little closer however I still have an issue.  Under Sounds->Playback I see both Speakers "Blue Tooth Audio" and Headphones "Big Jambox".  I can get sound using Speakers "Blue Tooth Audio" but it's poor quality.  I disable this playback device and try to use the one labled Headphones "Bug Jambox" but it's Disconnected.  When I select Connect nothing happens. Everything seems setup correctly for the bluetooth device and it's connected since like I said it will playback with poor quality using the generic bluetooth speaker device.  Using Dell XPS 8500 with Win8.

Once I was able to get it to connect but doing a test would provide a failure.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jawbone Member
hiwatt357
0 Kudos

Greetings, all.

My wife got me a Big Jambox for Christmas, and so far, I love it.

Except for one issue that has occurred a couple of times today.

I have it paired with my work Lenovo laptop, and I have been listening to iTunes.  However, a couple of times, the sound from the Big Jambox will just stop.  I check the connection, it's connected.  I check iTunes, and the track is playing.  I click on the volume control on my computer, it's up and the green bar is bouncing around indicating an audio signal.  But no sound from the Big Jambox.

Once I re-paired it, and it started working again.  Another time I hit the skip track (>) button on the Big Jambox, and it actually skipped several tracks in iTunes, but it finally stopped on one and began working again.

Anyone else having an issue like this, and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks!

-Scott.

-Scott.

"I got Jackie Onassis in my pants..." - The Dictators
Jawbone Member
jingram
0 Kudos

Re:Jambox Pairs with my pc's fine but no sound

I have just got a Jambox, reduced in John Lewis sale!!! - had read all the pro's and cons of it so was prepared for a bit of a struggle (wanted it to improve listening from laptop (HP Pro Book 3yrs old) and on phone when travelling) - it was a returned item and in a plastic bag, but JL promised to take it back if i couldn't get it to work.  When first plugged into laptop using Aux cable - sound distorted at higher volumes and volume controls didn't work at all!!! - thought it was faulty, but then remembered the bit about updating it from the website, so updated and 'reset' it and it worked very well - so that bit cured!  Then paired it to my mobile, easily - i am not a gadget person, so just keep pressing buttons till somthing worked.  Much more difficult to get it going on the laptop it, 'paired' ok but no sound - after much installing and uninstalling and reading of this community I have discovered ALL IT WAS is that my pc seemed to need to be told not to use its inbuilt speakers but use the wireless ones instead - so for anyone else out there try the following -  CONTROL PANEL - SOUND - you will hopefully see the BLUETOOTH HANDSFREE AUDIO and select them as the DEFAULT & Bobs your Auntie!!  Hope this may help.....