BIG JAMBOX

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

BIG JAMBOX
Jawbone Member
mandype

Big Jambox vs. Bose Soundlink?

I want to get a wireless bluetooth speaker and was considering getting one of these, but if you guys have something you think is better definitely let me know. I just want to know what you guys think is better? I have read that the Soundlink only gets about 8 hours of use whereas the big jambox gets around 14.

Jawbone Nerd
oluv

Re: Big Jambox vs. Bose Soundlink?

my soundlink plays more than 12 hours at normal listening levels. 6-8 hours is what you should get at levels near maximum.

i always use it outside in the garden where i usually have to turn it a bit louder in order to drown background noise and the longest i got was 14-15 hours.

the bass is the most impressive part of the soundlink, the big jambox is 30% larger but doesn't produce that amount of bass but on the other hand the big jambox sounds clearer with treble and mids, so it is just a matter of taste. as i mostly use the speaker outside the strong bass is a big plus as the soundlink sounds really powerful even without any reflecting walls while most other speakers tend to sound shrill if you listen to them in the open field.

if protability is important for you, i would go for the soundlink, it is not bigger than a book, the jambox is quite a "fat" box already, while i can even fit the soundlink even inside a bigger jacket-pocket.

Jawbone Nerd
macatari

I went to Best Buy to listen to the Big Jambox, but they did not have any on display to listen to. Turns out the SoundLink was on sale, so I picked that up instead to test. I've only had it a week, but initial reaction is the bass is very strong. Perhaps too strong. With podcasts and other voice, it is very boomy. For music, it sounds good overall and gets quite loud, though. I also really like its size and design. It is easy to carry around and packs nicely. The front cover is also a great idea. I was able to listen to the Big Jambox in an airport store on a recent trip and it sounded very impressive. I think I'm going to also pick one up so I can directly compare to the SoundLink. I really like Live Audio on my little Jambox; I would like to hear how it sounds on the big guy.
Jawbone Ace
JawboneJaimie
0 Kudos

Thanks for your thoughts, macatari! Keep us posted on your thoughts about BIG JAMBOX!

JawboneJaimie

Jawbone Nerd
macatari

Full review coming soon. Here are some initial thoughts after comparing the Big Jambox with the Bose SoundLink (along with the Jambox and Logitech Wireless Boombox): Overall, Big Jambox has the best combination of bass, mid-range and treble. The Bose SoundLink has excellent bass, but the mid-range and treble are very muffled. The SoundLink's sound improves a bit when used at very high volumes. I like the design of the SoundLink better. The flip cover is great and because it's thinner, it is easier to carry around. The Big Jambox looks good, but it is a bit "fat", making it harder to pack and lug around. The Big Jambox has more features for the money, including Live Audio, better battery life, play/pause and rewind/fast forward buttons on top, ability to connect two devices at the same time, USB charging and it is also a speakphone. I returned the SoundLink and kept the Big Jambox. I *really* like that the volume up/down buttons on the Big Jambox only emit a slight chirp when used as opposed to the loud beeps that the Jambox emits. Hopefully a software update will be out soon for the original Jambox. The loud beeps when changing the volume are probably the #1 complaint in the Jambox forum.
Jawbone Nerd
macatari

My review of the Big Jambox, Bose SoundLink, Jambox and Logitech Wireless Boombox is now available:

http://www.logicalvue.com/2012/06/shootout-soundlink-jambox-big-jambox-and-wireless-boombox/

Jawbone Newbie
Dguren

I purchased both of these devices from best buy to test them. You can simply return the product that you feel is inferior. Here is the breakdown- Design - edge goes to sound link. It is more like a book and easier to transport around. Sound- a Tie. Bose sounds better at low- medium volumes. As the sound gets louder, the jambox sounds better to me. I also like the live audio option, it gives an option as far as the sound goes. Bose does not have option. Battery - this was the deal breaker for me. If I bring this to the park, a BBQ, a party etc, I want it to last more than 3 hours. The Bose will only last 3 hours at high volumes. The box will last twice as long, long enough for a full day at the beach, etc, This is the main reason I am returning the Bose. Upgrades - the box takes upgrades and has more customizations. You can't go wrong with either one, both sound great. The battery is a huge deal to me.
Jawbone Enthusiast
william_04_x

Just another comment on the BJB battery life. I have run mine at full volume for more than 8 hours everyday for the past week and a half, with the charge state never reporting less than half when charging overnight through the micro USB port. I am very impressed with the Barry louder on this unit, and having more than one charging method is a huge benefit.
White Wave Big Jambox typically fed by a Droid RAZR MAXX running Android 4.0.4
Jawbone Enthusiast
william_04_x

I meant to type I'm very happy with the battery life of this unit. Swype says Barry louder :smileytongue: 

White Wave Big Jambox typically fed by a Droid RAZR MAXX running Android 4.0.4
Jawbone Member
homeyjay
0 Kudos

I've owned a small Jambox for some time now and love it to death. It goes everywhere with me and I use it only with Live Audio turned on because it gives me extended bass and an excellent spacial sound as long as I sit a couple of feet away from it.

I needed more volume and as the Big Jambox was not released in the UK yet, I pre-ordred it and waited.

In the meantime, a friend had bought a Soundlink and when he went away for a 3 week work contract, I borrowed it from him and used it. I have to say that the bass was superb and overall, the sound was full, rounded, perhaps a little lacking in high frequency but not by a huge amount.

Over the next couple of weeks I used the Bose a lot and really enjoyed the sound but I was happy to wait for Big J to arrive because I knew it would kick the Bose's ass!

Eventually, Big J arrived and what can I say. The sound is dull, lacking any depth. The bass is poor and although the top end in razor sharp, there's not much else that's good. As for Live Audio, Jawbone, what the hell have you done to it? It sounds totally different and nowhere near as effective as Small J!

I spent week comparing the Soundlink and Big J and on nearly every count, the Bose came out ahead. I asked quite a few of my friends for their opinions and every single one said that the Bose was a better sounding product. Two of them are sound engineers for the BBC!

I addition to this, I found the Bluetooth connection to be flaky and for no reason at all, cutting the music every now and then.

I've now returned the Big J and bought a Soundlink. I still love and use my Small J every day at work though! All I wanted was a Small Jambox that was much louder and i'm afraid that for me, the Big Jambox was simply nowhere near that.

If you are in the market for either a Big J or a Soundlink, make sure that you are in a position to hear both if you can. As for a standoff between the Bose and Big Jambox, Big J has bought a water pistol to a gunfight and the sales figures will prove this.