ERA

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

ERA
Jawbone Member
nycebo
0 Kudos

Re: ERA good/bad sound statistics

@dvantman, not to be rude, but I think it's in your head.  I have had problems with 2 previous (returned) AND my current ERA.  As you likely did, I updated the software on the 2 prior ERAs and they were terrible, suffering from the noted ailments of poor outgoing voice reception and a faulty noise assassin.  On the most recent factory replacement (my 3rd ERA), I opted, as you, NOT to update the software to see if it makes a difference.  If it does, it's barely discernible.  Callers still don't hear me clearly, noise assassin is utterly useless in anything more than a vacuum (breezes sound like tornadoes), and the muffled audio quality for calls remains.  I am CONVINCED that this as to do with the software because when the microphone is disabled when not on calls, audio quality of podcasts and music is acceptable. What's galling is that jawbone refuses to acknowledge our issue or better yet, an actual remedy. For someone who was such a loyal customer in the past (me), I am not likely to EVER purchase a product from them again.  Indeed, I have warned off all of my friends until my ERA is remedied.

Jawbone Newbie
DanielHickmore
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regretably I am in the same position. Very poor quality for the other people on calls, i need to be within 15-20 cm for it to work and it drops out for the other party all the time.

I am using an iphone 4.

Jawbone Member
MetricMaster
0 Kudos

Did the battery die or did you run it over, a new battery, and you could have a renewed product, if you don't want to try to fix it, I'll would like to try.
Jawbone Member
MetricMaster
0 Kudos

This sucks why no allow to edit comments? Any way i was trying to respond to bhweiner, to the rest of you, are you sure the little plastic tabby is securely up against your cheek bone?
Jawbone Member
quadratic
0 Kudos

Hi;

I guess I should be smarter these days, but oh well.  I, have a similar story.  I accidentally broke my other headset from a competitor that i'd had for 2 years  It truly worked fine other than, couldn't withstand a full size 10 on top of it.  I upgraded phones, and planned on replacing it anyway at the same time.  Got a deal on the phone, and instead of going back to tried and true, I took the recommendation of a "industry" source that tested these things.  Era got glowing reviews.  Was allegedly state of the art, and had all these wonderful advanced features that made it a class above anything else out there.  So I spent the 135 bucks, with tax.  From Day 1, I was getting complaints from people i talked to that they couldn't ehear me.  I upgraged the firmware immediately, and still complaints, of not being able to hear.  As far as call quality, and noise suppression, i own 2 convertibles, and you can imagine what i got with that.  The only time, i moderately haven't gotten a complaint about not being able to hear what im saying is when im sitting perfectly still, in room with no background noise. I feel so much a tool because, i've been around electronic innovations all my life. So, to get taken hook line and sinker on a rather expensive piece such as this, kinda getst me at my core.  From the complaints i've seen on this forum in regards to this call quality sound issue, I know this company is aware, of defective units in circulation.  And i find it reprehensible, that they aren't proactive about it.  For the price of their product at retail, and saying this is their best, to have consistent issues like this, it leads me to memories of another product produced as the "top of the line".  A car, that when driven new off the lot, could easily kick it's transmission into limp home mode. For shame Jawbone company.  Fix your product proactively.  Fix it expediently. Be open, and part of the new breed of businesses, that want to rectify and keep customers, and not chalk it up to a statistical analysis that say that only a acceptable percentage will complain, on their "beta" purchase.  F.Y.I., I tried this on a new Galaxy Touch S, Year Old HTC Evo, and Ipad2.  Same result, no one can hear me, and cuts out conversations.

Jawbone Member
TulsaDavid
0 Kudos

The candid reports on ERA are very appreciated. I am looking for a new bluetooth headset, have been through a number of headsets, including Bose, Q2, Plantronics, etc., and have yet to really find "the one." One reported good stats, but they were using an international smart phone (which, if you do any digging, you'll find doesn't have the bluetooth transmission limits imposed by the FCC). In part, it is not totally the fault of the headset, because with every headset I've had in the past few years, others would tell me it didn't sound good. I have an Infuse now. Anyone know how to hack the signal strength on Samsungs? (lol)
Jawbone Member
infowiz
0 Kudos

I have an AT&T LG Quantum (LG-C900) using  Windows 7.5. since summer 2012

Outbound is often terrible & I get a LOT of complaints from the other end of call. Tinny & crackling. I have even tried turning off the noise canceling. No help.

Inbound call and podcast sound mostly good quality except when I move just a few feet from phone.

Also, when I move around listening to a podcast the sound often drops out with phone is in pocket and then o.k. again. Maybe phone movement is also part of the issue??

Any response from Jawbone to these concerns? Car companies have a reputation of rarely admitting defects and don't want to take a hit to their bottom line or reputation. I want to like this company again given all that they are doing and have done right. 

Jawbone Member
riceman
0 Kudos

I've had the Era for six months now and it's been nothing but underwhelming. By far this is the worst Bluetooth headset I've owned, when it comes to using it for calling, and the worst Aliph product I've owned (Jawbone Original, Icon, Jambox).

As an A2DP device, it is decent. The "HD" speaker isn't as great as they advertise it to be, but it's certainly a step up from the previous devices provided that you get it fit in your ear properly; otherwise it will sound tinny.

Call quality is a mixed bag. Sometimes it works just OK, but usually its sub-par. I have never been amazed by the Era's call quality. Compared to the Icon, the Era's noise cancellation is much worse. I never had complaints with the Icon, but with the Era people on the other line can hear background noise 50-66% of the time. I, too, have range issues that are reproducible on multiple handsets, but are not as severe with the Icon. The Era is more susceptible to WiFi interference on the handset, too.

Bad/Very Bad call quality:

HTC Fuze

HTC Surround

HTC Titan

I'm also disappointed with the lack of apps. I suppose you can only do so much with firmware updates, and am not expecting a firmware patch to magically turn this lump of coal into a diamond. But, at least put out some apps to show you have some to commitment to the product. Taken from their webpage for the Era: " And because Jawbone ERA is completely integrated with the online MyTALK platform, it will continue to gain functionality as we develop new motion applications. ShakeShake and TapTap is just the beginning." It's pretty much the same apps there since I've had the Icon. Maybe what... 6 more audio apps (language support only), and 3 more dial apps since MyTalk was launched in beta?

It's a shame that Aliph had such a huge miss with this product. I've never had to worry about their quality until now. I'd still use my Icon, if it wasn't damaged, so I am just sticking it out with the Era until I can find a better replacement. I certainly won't be buying an Aliph products in the future without reading user reviews and I recommend that anyone wanting a Jawbone headset to go with the Icon over the Era.

Jawbone Newbie
JGRJR
0 Kudos

I posted this above efore I saw this thread.

I have received numerous complaints from people I call about the call sound quality. Usually I am told my voice is "cutting out". This requires me to raise my voice to a level above what I would consider normal for my previous headsets. Is this common or do I have a bad unit?

I have installed the latest firmware. Are there other call adjustments for sensitivity?

I have no problem hearing the person I am calling. Verizon Galaxy Nexus

BIO Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
BIO
0 Kudos

Samsung Galaxy s2 i9100

IPhone 4

Crackiling/popping, not able to understand other party.

Tested with ICON and both phones are ok