ERA

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

ERA
Jawbone Member
Soylent
0 Kudos

ERA poor audio quality

I had been using a Jawbone Prime for a couple years, but it was flimsy and not loud enough. So I decided to "upgrade" to the ERA. I immediately noticed that the build quality is superior to the Prime, and the audio is certainly louder.

However, call audio quality is significantly worse. Caller's voices sound muffled, and even cut out for a moment. In comparison, the Prime has a much clearer sound. If I could at least have an equalizer of some sorts, something to maybe boost the bass/treble (my phone doesn't have any call quality controls like the Blackberry). It sounds like the treble is way too low, even when listening to music on it.

Other info: I am using the same phone for both devices (Samsung Focus). I'm using the ERA in the same environment as I did the Prime. I've updated the firmware on the ERA. I believe the phone supports all the required bluetooth versions and features for the ERA.

Any ideas?

Jawbone Apprentice
JawboneEmma
0 Kudos

Re: ERA poor audio quality

Hi Soylent,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Jawbone User Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having call quality problems with your ERA. It sounds like the ERA might not be functioning correctly. If you've already tried a MyTALK update you might also want to give a reset a shot. You can find the directions for a reset at http://aliph.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/225.

If after performing this reset you are still having call quality problems please give us a call at 1-800-JAWBONE so that we can get this problem resolved for you.

Thank You!
JawboneEmma

Jawbone Member
Soylent
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will try that. Is there a way I can request a feature? I would like to see an option to have a simple equalizer, like bass boost or treble boost. Maybe a way to switch between music and voice mode, because voice should have very little low-range or bass.

Jawbone Ace
JawboneLeslie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion, Soylent. We certainly appreciate feedback and ideas from our community, and will gladly pass this on to the home. Thanks again for your contribution!

Jawbone Leslie

Jawbone Member
billf702
0 Kudos

To the moderators, I would like to add that your ERA product has the bug with lousy sound especially with talking. I tried the thing for almost 4 weeks. I did the software update and it helped, but I still had very inconsistent voice quality when I was speaking with people. The update did help with listening to music, but it did not help otherwise. My gut feeling is that either your noise assassin software or the voice activation sensor that has to touch your cheek is at issue. Why did you put the sensor on in the first place? It is weird having the thing touch your face all of the time anyway.

I hope you get the issues fixed. 

Jawbone Newbie
fleet_fingers
0 Kudos

ERA poor audio quality

I bought the ERA 12/18 2011.  The sound quality of device has been declining over the past year to the point where It went on the shelf for 3 months.  I decided to see if I could resolve the issue by getting a firmwear upgrade but there was nothing in the notes about addressing sound quality.  Am I the only one with a REAL sound quality issue?

12-2-2012 update on the ERA coupled with galaxy nexus.

I have the same issue as soylent.  I've done these things:

* updated the firmwear in the era.

* factory reset the era

* rebooted phone

* recoupled

The sound quality is still pretty craptaculous when trying to have a conversation and the sound cuts in and out (meaning I can't hear or can't be heard intermittentantly. )  the phone is not more than 2 feet away during any call but honest to pete when my customers can't hear me, its a quick way to loosing them.   Help!  I'm thinking for the price point of this device, it should be working superlatively what with the noise cancelling.    Is there any issue being worked regarding sound quality issues on the ERA? 

Jawbone Member
carlc68
0 Kudos

I'm with ya Fleet. I too bought my Jawbone Era last year, when I got my iPhone 4S that came out in October 2011. I was hoping when iOS 6 came out that it would resolve the issue, but it's not the phone's problem. Still occurs. I keep hoping for a software update for the earpiece that will resolve volume issues. To my recollection, there has only been one software update for the ERA this past year. Making the party you're talking to repeat themselves 2 to 3 times to make out what they're saying is absolutely annoying. Not just to me, but to the people I'm talking to. I too have also tried the obvious things - factory reset (many times over the last year), deleting the Jawbone profile off my phone then re-pairing the device. I'm at my wits end with this and would also like to know whether Jawbone is working on a software/firmware update for the ERA to resolve this issue because I'm seriously considering purchasing something else soon. I need quality and reliability in my earpiece. Not just a $125 ear accessory. I'm sure there are many more people with the same issue. What say you Jawbone?
Jawbone Newbie
dwardj
0 Kudos

Has this been addressed by Jawbone?  I have exactly the same problems on my Jawbone Era - callers say they hear every other syllable when I have Noise Assasin on, when it's off background noise overwhelms everything.  

Every month or so I pull it out of my briefcase, reset, and see if there's a SW download that fixes it but nothing changes, right now this is a very expensive useless accessory.  

There should be some refund mechanism ...

David

Jawbone Member
Slimer
0 Kudos

I must say that I have the same problem after updating with the latest firmware a few months ago. It is not nearly unusable, IT IS UNUSABLE at this point.

I can understand why they don't admit that there is a problem but the fact that I don't even see them try to solve the issue is simply unacceptable.
Jawbone Apprentice
byasini
0 Kudos

I think there is a hardware problem with Era. I contacted Jawbone support team many times and all I got was a reset procedure.