ICON

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

ICON
Jawbone Nerd
bukipup

Text and email alerts when wearing ICON

I'm having trouble understanding who to write a feature request to when it comes to getting a audio tone in the bluetooth earpiece when a text or email arrives.  Common sense would dictate that if the phone is not on silent, the phone itself and the bluetooth should alert you when a text or email arrives.  Such is not the case with my ICON and iPhone 4 with iOS4.1 (a software update that was supposed to improve bluetooth connectivity.)  In addition, if the phone is on silent and my bluetooth is connected, I still expect to be alerted in my earpiece.

Do I write a feature request to Apple, or is my ICON to blame.  To me, it seems like the ICON goes into standby mode quite often and isn't woken up in time to make the "ping" sound when email or texts arrive.  If that is the case, a frimware update from Jawbone might fix this.  I'm just wondering if I wrote my concerns to Jawbone, would they tell me it's Apple's fault and I shoud write to Apple?  Any insight on this from the forum members or moderators?  Thanks.

Jawbone Newbie
dbaydoun

Re: Text and email alerts when wearing ICON

I have the exact problem.  The only way around this is to disable the A2DP feature under Advanced settings.  You are basically trading one feature for another.  I chose to disable A2DP, since I need my Text/Email notification to come through the Iphone.  Good luck.

Jawbone Nerd
bukipup

[ Edited ]

That's good to know.  Thank you.  It's a shame consumers have to choose between the two.  I'm sure it's fixable, but I still don't know who to address my concerns to - Apple or Jawbone support.

And didabling A2DP only allows sms and email alerts to sound off on the phone itself.  I need these alerts to sound off in my earpiece so others around me aren't bothered by the noise.

Jawbone Apprentice
JawboneEmma
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for these posts! 

We appreciate the feedback you've provided.

Any tone or alert aside from the built-in Jawbone tones, like the start up message you hear from the headset, is a signal sent from the phone to the Jawbone (or any Bluetooth headset). The Jawbone cannot receive these signals if the phone is not sending them.  I would advise making sure you have A2DP on your ICON and contacting your service provider or phone manufacturer to find out what signals your phone is capable of sending through the Bluetooth connection. 

Hope this helps!

Jawbone Nerd
bukipup

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply, but I think I'm onto something with my "ICON-doesn't-snap-out-of-A2DP-standby-mode-fast-enough" theory, and I'm sure it can be fixed with an ICON firmware update. 

Case and point - when you start typing a text message on the iPhone 4 the ICON doesn't start making your keypad clicks audible in your earpiece until you're well into your sentence.  That's the standby delay. The ICON has to wake up and realize there are noises to report, and then it eventually catches up with what you're doing, missing the first couple of clicks.  When we get a text message or an email alert, that's just one short "ping" noise, which is not long enough for the ICON to snap out of standby mode and pick up the audible tone.  By the time the Jawbone wakes up, it misses the alert and there's nothing else to report.  If the ICON is being used while listening to music, text and email alerts come through fine.  That's because the ICON is not in some mysterious A2DP standby mode - it's active, alert, and running.  I don't think it's the phone.  It's the ICON's battery-saving standby mode.

Disabling A2DP allows the phone itself to sound an alert when texts and emails arrive, but the point of the bluetooth at work is to keep these alerts in the earpiece, so others aren't bothered by it.  So that's not a solution to me.

I'd love for the Jawbone techs to look into this further.  I'll personally troubleshoot with them over email if need be.  Thanks.

Jawbone Nerd
stcanard
0 Kudos

Try plugging your Jawbone into your computer and check if there is an update available to install.

On iOS 3 I got alert sounds on the phone, however the upgrade to iOS 4.0 broke those.  Once I installed the latest MyTalk update the functionality was mostly restored - I get a standard beep in the earpiece, as long as the phone is not on silent.

There is no way to tell if you have the most recent update by looking at the MyTalk website though - for some reason they don't put a last release date there.  You need to plug your icon in and run the updater to see.

Jawbone Nerd
bukipup
0 Kudos

Thank you.  I plugged it in yesterday and today.  I have the latest firmware.

I have written to Apple twice about this. 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Apparently an iOS 4.2 beta is out there.  I have no idea if this issue was addressed.  Regardless, I have my suspicions that the Jawbone folks could find a workaround for this if they deemed it important enough to put on their "to-do" list.  Maybe meet Apple half way somehow.  I don't think this is a "cutesy" feature request.  I think it's an absolute must for any smartphone and bluetooth used in the workplace. 

Jawbone Enthusiast
peaced02
0 Kudos

Actually, the length of the tone has NO IMPACT. I changed the text & email alerts to a four minute song that I know plays as music thru the Icon, thinking the same thing: that it took a while for the Icon to pick it up and this would give it 4 minutes. Still, NOTHING!! I have a Droid X and was told the same thing - that the phone was at fault because the Icon couldn't pick up the type of tone that it was sending out. But if it picks up this song as music, then why not as a notification???  This seems to be happening with many types of phones with many operating systems - one thing in common = the Icon. Don't get me wrong, I love my Icon & don't want to change- I just wish I could get my alerts thru it. I solved my prob by installing VLINGO app. I do get my alerts thru that on the Icon.

Jawbone Nerd
bukipup
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, peaced02.  That's the beauty of Android - they give you many flexible options to solve these issues.  iPhone OS is a tight ship - they don't want you manipulating message tones, and Vlingo doesn't work like it does on an Android phone.  At least your message alerts come through. 

When you say your alerts come through, is it through the phone speakers when your ICON is connected, or through the ICON earpiece?

Jawbone Enthusiast
peaced02
0 Kudos

With Vlingo, if the Icon is connected, the alerts come thru both the phone speaker AND the Icon earpiece.  I'm sorry Steve Jobs won't let you guys have more creative options!  But the iPhone is still a great device - I think he will have to open it up eventually though to keep up with Android!