JAMBOX

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

JAMBOX
Jawbone Member
ratay1
0 Kudos

iphone --> jambox

having trouble getting my jambox to connect to my iphone automatically.  no problem getting it to connect with a power cycle on the jambox...but pretty sure i shouldn't have to do that.

there have been a couple instances where it automatically connected, but that's happened a few times vs. the couple hundred of power cycles i've had to perform.

am curious because this is not an issue i have with other devices...my car, for instance, recognizes my phone when it powers up and will also re-connect when i move back into range if i've left it idling and walked away.  why can't i get the same connectivity with the jambox?

...BTW, have loaded mytalk, updated the firmware on the jambox, etc. (initially for just this issue), to no avail.

thoughts?

Jawbone Newbie
dbail
0 Kudos

Re: iphone --> jambox

I have the same issue.  While the performance of the device is wonderful, I have yet to have success in the following areas:

simultaneous connection between my mac and iphone

consistant performance on connect, disconnect and reconnect (due to issue above) without a power cycle on the jambox, iphone or both

I have not found any firmware updates available and just purchased the device a week ago.  If I cannot get more reliable performance out of the device, I'll have to return.  Where was the QC process for this device prior to hitting the market????

Jawbone Newbie
minefield
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I wish i knew that i would have to re-pair every single time i wanted to use the speaker, because i would have chosen something else with a dock

Jawbone Nerd
jbde
0 Kudos

The Jambox uses the Bluetooth profile A2DP, to stream audio. A2DP only handles one connection at a time, meaning it can only stream from one audio source at a time.

As an example: If you are currently streaming audio from your iphone to Jambox, and you want to switch to your Mac to streaming audio to Jambox. You first need to disconnect the Jambox from the iphone. Once the Jambox is free, you can then go to your Mac's sound setting and connect to the Jambox.

Jawbone Member
richlyon
0 Kudos

> You first need to disconnect the Jambox from the iphone

How?

Jawbone Member
heikkipekka
0 Kudos

Yeah, how you disconnect the iPhone? I only know how to unpair the whole Jambox going to iPhone's Bluetooth menu but no idea how to unconnect without need for repairing, which is pain in the ass.
Jawbone Nerd
macatari
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, the only way to disconnect a Bluetooth device that is connected to the iPhone is to go to settings and turn off Bluetooth. Then you can connect to the Jambox with your other device. When you turn Bluetooth on the iPhone back on it will not connect to the Jambox because it will already be connected to the other device. This is a pain, but it's not the fault of the Jambox. The iPhone should have an easier way to do this.
Jawbone Member
heikkipekka
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarification. What about Bose Soundlink that I read can connect to six devices - is the way to change streaming devices always the same with iOS device (hard) or does Soundlink handle multiple devices differently (better)?

It's a pitty Jambox is not for easy use between multiple devices (our household has two iPhones, iPad and two Macs).
Jawbone Nerd
macatari
0 Kudos

heikkipekka wrote:
Thanks for clarification. What about Bose Soundlink that I read can connect to six devices - is the way to change streaming devices always the same with iOS device (hard) or does Soundlink handle multiple devices differently (better)?

It's a pitty Jambox is not for easy use between multiple devices (our household has two iPhones, iPad and two Macs).

I don't see how the Soundlink would work any differently.  It can remember up to 6 to connect (the Jambox remembers 2), but the issue is with disconnection.  With an iPhone, Bluetooth devices will disconnect if they go out of range, if you "forget" the connection or if you turn off bluetooth.

If an iPhone (or anything else) is currently connected to a Jambox via Bluetooth, another device will not be able to connect to the Jambox until the first device is disconnected.  This is a bluetooth and/or iPhone problem.  There's not much the Jambox or any other bluetooth speaker will be able to do to mitigate it.  Other devices (Android phones?, Macs) may make it easier/possible to disconnect from a single bluetooth device such as the Jambox, but the iPhone does not, unfortunately.

Jawbone Member
ratay1
0 Kudos

Tks macatari, but do you have any thoughts regarding automatic connection? Seems quite a few people are unable to have their jambox automatically connect to a paired device once it's in range... Isn't that something bluetooth should facilitate? It's less-than-ideal to have to manually connect my jambox to my iPad every single morning when I get to my office at work...no?