LIVING UP

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

LIVING UP
Jawbone Newbie
dogfolife69
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

UP 2.0 vs Fitbit Flex/One

I used to have the UP 1.0 and I loved it. It didnt last long, had battery issues as alot of the 1.0 had.

I am researching and still trying to decide between UP, Fitbit One or Flex (unreleased). Any one had exprience between the UP and FitBit? looking for feedback.

Jawbone Apprentice
rockyromero

Re: UP 2.0 vs Fitbit Flex/One

I’m tracking with Fitbit One & Jawbone 2 and I’m ok with both as long as I stay away from water.

I went thru 4 Fitbit Ultras due to inadvertently getting them wet.

Both Fitbit One & Jawbone 2 seem to be more water resistant, however I have not had either one in direct contact in the water, like showering or swimming in the ocean.

I've also ordered the Misfit Shine, due in June, because it's waterproof.

May the last tracker standing win for me.

They each have their individual benefits, and actually complement & overlap each other.

Even the Shine won’t last forever, with new advances occurring every year with wearables.

There are rumors of the Apple iwatch getting into this space also.

I’ll enjoy getting motivate to move while measuring my performance along the way.
Jawbone Enthusiast
Andy1501
0 Kudos

I have an UP and a FitBit One. They have their individual strengths and weaknesses, but if I had to choose one, it would be the FitBit.

The UP has the great advantage of being worn, which means it doesn't get misplaced, left in the wrong pocket when getting changed, or forgotten. Nor is it at all easy to lose it - the FitBit can fall out of its clip, or come unclipped. Many FitBit owners have had to get replacement units after the originals have gone missing. 

However, the FitBit's strength is that not only does it display ongoing stats, but by synching to computers (via a dongle) and a small number of smartphones (mostly iPhone 4S and 5) via Bluetooth, it is possible to keep track of activity levels in real-time. The advantage of that is the nagging effect of it passively encouraging greater levels of exercise.

The FitBit One also tracks stairs climbed in a very rudientary fashion, turning even that activity into a challenege of its own.

Overall, I think I would opt for a FitBit Flex when it comes out. It will lack the FitBit One's display, and won't track stair's climbed, but it will sync via Bluetooth and will have the benefit of being wearable and thus not so easy to misplace or lose.

Jawbone Enthusiast
Andy1501
0 Kudos

One other consideration in selecting between Jawbone or Fitbit products is the infrastructure. Because Fitbits can sync with computers, not just iOS devices (and some Android) they can be used without a smartphone of any kind. Also, where Jawbone is centered on the UP and iOS device, with the UP collecting data and the iOS device displaying it, Fitbit's infrastructure centers on the user's account on fitbit.com, so activity data can be accessed on the fitbit itself, on a compatible iOS or Android device and by logging into the website with any browser.

The absence of similar web-based access to Jawbone data seems like an oversight by comparison since it limits access to data and means the UP is only viable for people with compatible iOS devices.

I've found that the more accessible my activity data, the better the motivation to meet and beat goals.

Yet, the UP app provides rather more comprehensive sleep and activity analysis, a better database of foods, and the ability to add comments to the timeline which could prove useful for tracking wider mood issues.

The absence of one 'perfect' solution is why I have both!

Jawbone Member
viking23
0 Kudos

some app can do what u want, so i tracking my sports training by my iphone and up at the same time.
Jawbone Apprentice
rockyromero
0 Kudos

Andy sums it up for me: The absence of one 'perfect' solution is why I have both!

I'm getting the Misfit Shine because it's waterproof & no other tracker promises that yet.

The Fitbit One tracks my stairs, which no other does well.

The Jawbone UP fits well on my ankle and, incidentally, reminds me to keep moving & to remove devices when splashing in water/moisture areas.

Again, the absence of one 'perfect' solution!
Jawbone Newbie
themu
0 Kudos

I actually bought both yesterday. The display of the UP is definitely a winner. The integration of fitbit (to other app like endomondo and my fitness pall) is a winner for me. Note that i use an android, so MFP is not available for me on the up.

I also put a few impressions on my blog and comparisons

http://murielpt.com/fitbit-flex-versus-jawbone-up-first-jog/

http://murielpt.com/fitbit-flex-versus-jawbone-up-sleep/

http://murielpt.com/fitbit-flex-versus-jawbone-up-first-impressions/

Jawbone Newbie
dogfolife69
0 Kudos

Thank you for your comparisons. I am waiting on my Flex to be delivered, pre-ordered, Amazon not delivering until May 17th, but I have been using the FitBit One since, and I must say I love it. Looking forward to my flex. After researching, I decided the Up wasn't for me, especially after my sour experience with Gen1.

Jawbone Member
Allison1301
0 Kudos

I have an iPhone 4, and the fitbit won't sync with anything older than a 4S..so that is a deal breaker right there for me!! 

Jawbone Newbie
gaber
0 Kudos

@rockyromero: Please tell me, does Misfit Shine have Silent Alarm feature as UP?