FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

LIVING UP
Jawbone Member
mszpara
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Up at the gym?

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to hear that Up has made a comeback, as i've been wanting one since V1.0 was released.  I'm pretty much ready to go out and buy one but was wondering about one thing.

How does this thing work in the gym? I don't see anywhere that it has a GPS or anything, so i'm assuming it works the same whether i'm running outdoors or if i'm running on a treadmill.  

Are there any negatives to wearing Up at the gym? Or will I get the same benefits and tracking as someone using it outdoors?

Thanks!

JawboneAlex
Topics: 59
Kudos: 490
Solutions: 410

Re: Up at the gym?

mszpara,

Your UP band uses cutting-edge MotionX technology to track activity, giving it superior accuracy. While variations in user, terrain, and activity conditions can influence specific calculations, testing has shown UP to provide industry-leading accuracy in tracking activity and sleep. You can also use the built-in calibration feature to make UP even more accurate for you.

Hope this answers your question,

JawboneAlex

Giving Kudos is a great way to thank the community!

Jawbone Newbie
ChristianArca
0 Kudos

@JawboneAlex - does that mean it's pretty accurate at measuring weight lifting? I'm an avid crossfitter and am looking for the Jawbone UP to track my activities at crossfit. Some of the activities include squats, burpees, rowing, shoulder presses, push ups, sit ups, etc...

Thanks for your answer!
JawboneAlex
Topics: 59
Kudos: 490
Solutions: 410
0 Kudos

ChristianArca,

UP would see those activities as steps, so while it would track them, it would not recognize the difference. You can however log workouts on the app based on factors such as intensity, duration and activity.

Hope that makes sense!
JawboneAlex
Giving Kudos is a great way to thank the community!

Jawbone Newbie
Liftingstrong

Up at the Gym

I share the same interest. However, after reading and doing a little research, it doesn't seem to track weightlifting etc...exactly. It captures your movement...bench press, curls etc, but not anyting to do with cardio or heart rate.
Here's what I understand - someone correct me if needed.
It does not use GPS type tracking technology.
It actually measures your arm/ hand movement. This includes while you walk, run etc...including while you sleep, steer your car and so on.
It has a feature, where you can manually input your workout info. e.g. weightlifting for 1 hour at high intensity etc...it uses this info, along with your user profile, weight etc to calculate calories burned, showing active time.
The unit doesn't measure your heart rate, so it cannot give you time spent below/ in/ above your cardio range etc.
All-in-all, I'm enjoying my band and will continue to use it. I like the sleep tracking feature and having the ability to input my food intake.
I'm not convinced yet on the accuracy of the distance/ steps measurement.
I need to calibrate my unit and compare to a pedometer. I also plan to wear my heart rate monitor band/ watch and compare the differences.
I'll try to post the results.
If you calibrate your UP, from what I've read, it seems better to use short distances...verses several miles. You can see some of the other feedback on that point. For example, 3 miles was adjusted to be 2.1 etc. That could be a real problem, but again, I am only repeating what I've read on the forum.
Hope this helps you work with/ around the unit features. Great training to you!
Jawbone Member
bobsor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately many gym-related activities aren't detected at all, for instance running on an elliptical trainer, or spinning.  And as you've mentioned, you can try and enter an activity in the log, but it won't allow you to enter the number of steps, even when you know them.  For instance, my gym's ellitical trainer tells me how many strides I take per minute, and how many minutes I've run, as well as a conversion to miles, but the only one of those parameters I can enter in the UP log is minutes, and the UP  conversion to steps and miles is totally different, by a factor of ten.  Personally I think that if you know the number of step equivalents you've taken, you should be able to enter them.

Given the deficiencies mentioned by many users of the armband design, related to the conversion to steps, a conversion that doesn't work for many activities, it seems to me that an ankle band that senses leg movement, whether on a cycle, elliptical machine, stairclimber, etc, would have a lot of advantages.  Even when walking, if you don't move your arm in the expected way, for instance if you're holding a package or your laptop under your arm, holding on to a backpack, or have your hand in your pocket because it's freezing outside, forget trying to get the UP to notice that you're walking.

Jawbone Member
kcotulla

Re: Up at the gym? use it on the ankle.

I wear the band on my ankle 90% of the time.  It's the only effective way to use it on the stairmaster and the treadmill (and I just don't like it on my wrist with a work shirt).

I do wish there was a larger size than large to fit better on the ankle, but it's worked absolutely great for me on the ankle for almost three months.

Jawbone Member
JedediahGoodson
0 Kudos

Agreed, I was working cleaning around the yard yesterday and using my arms a lot, I think the band over estimated my steps quite a bit.
Jawbone Member
JedediahGoodson
0 Kudos

@ChristianArca, when you do a timed activity, does UP convert that to steps and count it against your daily activity and calories burned? I'm having problems with getting it to recognize cycling. When I log that activity as an exercise, I see a small icon beside the step goal, but it doesn't change the steps.
Jawbone Apprentice
pyrobling
0 Kudos

One thing I have noticed is while weight lifting my numbers can fluctuate greatly.  I have a 4-day circuit I do and my steps can change greatly while do the same workout 4 days later in the same sequence.

Since it monitors motion I have noticed that some movements won't even get logged.  JawboneAlex covered how the UP tracks movements in another post.  Since it tracks swinging your arm and also impact it notices when you carry a box even.  However, if I am doing a concentration curl and I move very slowly it does not always track that arm swing.  I synced my UP before doing 20 pound dumbell concentration curls for 4 sets of 10-12 with 30 second reset and only logged about 40 "steps."

Best option is log the workout and make sure that, if you can, use a heartrate monitor for one workout.  I bought one on Amazon for 20 bucks.  Then monitoriing my heart rate and the time I could calculate online my calorie burn for the hour in the gym.  Since the UP gives you options for workout intensity I found most of my gym time was either "In the Zone" or "Intense" on my calorie burn.  Do that a couple of times and you should get an idea.  For cardio I ALWAYS wear my up on my ankle, i.e. treamill, bike, eliptical.

Hope this helps some.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping UP my life one day at a time...

If someone helps you out or gives you good advice remember to give them KUDOS!!