MY DEVICES
mmm Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
mmm
Accepted Solution

Updating JAMBOX with LiveAudio

[ Edited ]

To fellow owners of the Jambox:

If you are contemplating whether to update your JAMBOX to the latest firmware (for LiveAudio), THINK TWICE.

I attempted to yesterday, followed the instructions diligently, and proceeded to brick my Jambox.  As the sync stalled at 4%, I called customer service and spent half an hour on the phone with them, attempting a solution of reinstalling the updater, then trying the process over.  Lastly, I tried hard resetting the Jambox by pressing the "O" button six times fast, then seventh time hold. Nothing worked.

I asked the customer service rep what next and she explained that a replacement would be sent out.  I understand problems can happen so I was about to go through with the whole RMA process when the bad news started.  She explained that the black one I had was "backordered" and that only blue was in stock, would I take it.  Of course not, the blue, in my opinion, is hideous.  And having spent $200 on a device that was bricked by faulty software, I was none too pleased to hear this solution.  So I asked if they could offer me a different color, assurances of when it would arrive, a concession / credit of any kind, really, just an olive branch to appease me in some way.  Her reply was that she did not know when I would get my replacement but I would have to pay for shipping the defective unit back to Jawbone as part of the Terms of Agreement. 

Well, that response did not sit well with me so I asked to speak with the manager.  A man named "Lon" in the Oregon office came on the line and said he was the manager.  I explained the situation and my dissatisfaction with having to wait, possibly indefinitely, for the replacement unit.  I explained that a $200 speaker is expensive and I expected better solutions from a quality company like Jawbone.  I asked if there was anything he could do, maybe offer me one of the limited edition Gold Hex units, or just SOMETHING to make me feel better about the situation.  He offerred nothing. He said that he was surprised I would not take another color as most people would.

I then told him that while I understand his position, I am compelled to tweet about my negative experience with JAMBOX and Jawbone customer service.  He then said the most appalling thing possible to a customer.  He said that if I continued "threatening" him with online blogging etc, he would simply disconnect my call and I would be back to square one. 

I was stunned into silence.  This was the manager of the customer service center, US based, speaking to me.  Bear in mind that I was not belligerent, yelling, or anything on the phone.  I was simply communicating my dissatisfaction as a customer, and my perrogative of writing about the incident online.  Instead of reasoning with me, he tried to get rid of the problem, namely me.  So basically the call ended with a take it or leave it proposal from Jawbone.  I took it.

After I hung up, still stunned, I decided to call my local Apple Store and relay the experience I had with their store manager.  I bought my now defective Jambox 3 months ago in their store.  I told them how everything went down and I explained that I expected more from a customer service standpoint from Jawbone, a company whose products are sold through the Apple Store.  The manager was equally appalled at my experience and immediately offered me a replacement Jambox!  He said to return the defective one in its original packaging with receipt, which I luckily had.

I know this is not procedure and I would have followed through with the RMA.  I can understand that problems happen.  I can even stomach the long wait for the backordered replacement (eventually).

But I cannot abide by what Lon, the customer service manager, said to me.  It is simply not an acceptable thing to say to a customer in any setting, and having it come from the manager, I am doubly mortified.  

I truly hope that Jawbone management will take my post seriously and at least find the verve the sanction this person.  If he behaves in this manner, I can imagine his team is similarly mistrained. 

In conclusion, I expect more from Jawbone as I feel your products are high quality.  I own many of your products but after this experience, I will be exploring other brands.  I do hope that one day, your customer service standards will reach that of your products but I feel that is a long way away at the moment.

*The title of this post has been edited by a moderator so that members of the community can find it more easily.

mmm Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
mmm

Re: Update bricked my Jambox - APPALLING customer service follows - very dissappointed

I am not surprised that after 12 hours, I have yet to receive a response from the moderator or customer service.  I suppose this is consistent with my experience with phone support.   

Jawbone Member
JayTea

Re: Update bricked my Jambox - APPALLING customer service follows - very dissappointed

I am in the exact SAME boat as you. I have yet to call Jawbone support yet though. I so hope they come out with a fix soon, I really am dependent on my Jambox. :smileysad:

mmm Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
mmm

JayTea, good luck to you.  Jawbone support said that the Jambox speakers have been so popular that they have not been able to keep them in stock, hence the backorder.  Frankly, I find it hard to believe that a $200 gadget can be in high demand during this economy.  It is more likely that there are many of us out there waiting for replacements.  

I do hope you get yours soon.  If you call them, try to ask for next day shipping or some other concession.  They may also make you pay for the return shipping of your defective unit.  You can argue that the firmware update bricked the unit, which technically makes it Jawbone's fault, as the phone support people admitted as much to me already, that there have been many calls about the same situation.

Hope you get your replacement soon!  I was lucky to have bought mine from an Apple Store, a company that does care about customer satisfaction and fairness.  Imagine that it has been two days and I still have heard zip from Jawbone customer service after posting my experience.  What type of moderator leaves posts such as mine unanswered?  Anyway, my attempts to reach upper management at Jawbone (regarding my negative experience) will likely also fall on deaf ears as this type of poor customer service is built into the corporate culture, top down all the way. 

Jawbone Member
JayTea

Re: Update bricked my Jambox - APPALLING customer service follows - very disappointed

I agree, pretty unreal that this post hasn't been dealt at all. I bought mine from Bonobos so hopefully they will send me a new one. They seem to give a care about customer support. They gave me a $50 referral code since it was my first purchase! Hopefully they will get me setup if Jawbone doesn't want to handle my issue. Keep me posted, I will be replying if I get anything new.

Jawbone Member
kcnetnet
0 Kudos

Re: Update bricked my Jambox - APPALLING customer service follows - very disappointed

[ Edited ]

I think you have articulated your point well. 

Your actions in working through the situation with Jawbone appear to be professional and constructive.

Jawbone should have returned the favor.

My Jambox is also a casualty of this upgrade and Jawbone has provided me with an EXCEPTIONALLY BAD CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.

Great companies 1) Recognize and take ownership of the problem 2) Fix it 3) Communicate what measures they have taken to prevent a future occurrence. In my personal experience, Jawbone has not done any of the aforementioned.

It is BAD BUSINESS.

mmm Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
mmm

[ Edited ]

Wow, this train wreck of a post continues.  I am now morbidly curious as to when we might expect, if any, an official response from a moderator or customer service rep.  I am in a service related field and our company has online forums as well.  Our mods meticulously monitor postings as the contributors are comprised primarily of loyal customers.  We would never let negative posts or questions fester like an ugly wound without comment.  Even if we had no solution to offer, the response would be to let posters know that the situation is being looked at and a solution would be forthcoming.  The worse thing to do is offer silence as that either means the company doesn't care nor has a clue about what is going on. 

I wrote this post to warn others of my experience and to express my dissatisfaction.  But more than anything, I wanted to give Jawbone one last opportunity to respond professionally.  They have failed once again with providing nothing but silence. 

mmm Jawbone Member
Jawbone Member
mmm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Update:  This morning, i received a call from Lon, the customer service manager whom I referred to above.  He apologised for how my call was handled and wanted to follow up on how I was doing with my new Jambox.  I told him that I appreciated him reaching out, offering the apology and that my Jambox was working fine.  I am not planning on applying the live update though!

He also offered sending out a Jamchain which I politely declined.

To conclude, i appreciate Lon's conciliatory phone call.  I hope those reading this post with similar troubles will reach out to Jawbone and Lon for solutions. 

Jawbone Member
JayTea
0 Kudos

That's good Lon called back and apologized.

I just got off the phone with Jawbone support about an hour ago. Avery was good, was easy to understand etc (kudos to him!). He did walk me through how to reset my Jambox and it's charging now that I know it's not bricked. As Mmm said, I will not be applying the update. However, I appreciate that I was treated well while on the phone. Avery did inform me though that because my Jambox was a special edition one that I would have to contact the place I purchased it from, I do believe they would kindly give me a new one if needed. Hopefully Jawbone will release a fix or something to prevent this from happening, just depressing that it did indeed happen. Glad you posted with the exact same issue I was having, so I knew that I was not crazy.

Jawbone Enthusiast
hawke75
0 Kudos

Ok

I just received a replacement Jambox as the Live Audio Bricked my jambox as well. Now the bricked jambox will connect to mytalk after doing a hard reset However i cannot change out the different voice theme as the device will get stuck during the update.  it will allow me to change the name of the jambox and remove connections in the Jambox account section of MYTALK. so i changed the name of the old jambox  and paired both jamboxes to my Pre Plus.  i can definately comfirm that the new update will decrease your overall max volume by i would say around 15 to 20% with the live audio turned off and a decrease of 50 to 60% with it turned on.  So in effect You don't want this update till a more stable and improved update becomes available.