TROUBLESHOOTING UP

FIND ANSWERS QUICKLY!

TROUBLESHOOTING UP
Jawbone Member
wmerkel

UP warranty

[ Edited ]

As of now, I am waiting on my third replacement for my Jawbone UP. I got my first one at Christmas and within a few weeks, the vibration stopped working which is part of the reason why I got it (smart wake up alarm) so after about a week of talking to customer service I sent that one in and in a week recieved another.  That vibration motor on the new one also quits within a few weeks but because I set my phone also, I wasn't late for work this time. So I start talking to customer service asking for my money back because I have only had the band for a few months and frankly that is ridiculous.  They say that you can only get a refund with 60 days of purchase so I look up the warranty information online.

It states (at https://jawbone.com/support/up/warranty) that the Jawbone UP has a one-year limited warranty and "during the one (1) year limited warranty period so that it performs substantially in accordance with the accompanying documentation on the date of your initial purchase. Any replacement may be, at the option of Jawbone, a new or remanufactured Product. If Jawbone, in its sole discretion, determines it is not reasonable to replace the defective Product, Jawbone may refund to Consumer the purchase price paid for the Product." So I ask for my money back again and they keep on going on about the 60 days when in the warranty there is no mention at all of anything having to do with 60 days.  

Now for a product that is being advertised as being a wear 24/7 band I would expect it to last a lot longer than a couple weeks. And since this is the 2nd generation of the UP, that only came about because Jawbone had so much trouble with the 1st generation, I believe that it is very reasonable to ask for my money back because while reading posts and forums online, clearly there are still problems that they need to address.

I think that it unreasonable to replace something that the customer no longer wants and is incapable of using because half the time it doesn't work and is being shipped back and forth getting replaced. I am tired of customer support saying "I am sorry for any inconvience," when all I want is what is stated in the warranty as within one year and not 60 days. This isn't an unreasonable request.

All I want is my money back. Please.

*A moderator has edited the title of this post so that members of the community can find it more easily.

Jawbone Member
psm450

Re: UP warranty

I’m getting into the 7-8 week product lifespan loop as well.  I looked at Amazon product reviews and there are quite a few people getting the bands replaced after 7-10 weeks of use.   I don’t think this product was tested with real world users nor is it ready for prime time.  

How does Jawbone deal with situations where customers purchased products expecting to get reasonable use out of the product yet it fails to deliver?

I’ll give the second band a chance but after the second one fails I’ll also be looking for a refund

Jawbone Member
wmerkel

I'm not even getting 7-8 weeks out of it, more like 2-4.
But apparently they do not acknowledge the part of the one-year warranty stating they can give refunds if it is reasonable. And half the time the customer service reps do not seem to read what you send them. I told them I tried all of the different resets for the UP because it is the second one to not work and the first thing they say is, "can you try doing a soft reset?"
One time they even told me that they can not exchange the band for another product when I clearly said I just want my money back and not something different.
Jawbone Newbie
pika

Re: UP warranty--a tale of two UPs

My UP failed (failed to charge and then died completely) February 16, after about three weeks of use. I loved the product and so, after spending a week on hard resets, soft resets, and e-mail exchanges with customer service, I shipped the band in at my own expense when Jawbone e-mailed me an exchange authorization. I had the band less than 30 days, but there was no mention of any option for a refund or even help shipping the product back, although I bought my UP directly from Jawbone.

My husband's band then failed in the same way, but after another week of hard and soft resets and e-mail exchanges, I called Jawbone customer service. Phone-in customer service was a world away from the e-mail exchanges--Jawbone e-mailed us a shipping label and shipped my husband a new band, which he received within a day or two of our call. My UP, by way of contrast, has been unusable or unavailable since mid-February, and I don't know when I'll receive a replacement (according to my shipper, my defunct band arrived at the Jawbone return area 5 1/2 days ago, but a new one has not been shipped, and customer service by phone--excellent though it is--is not at the same location as my band and therefore has no way of telling me when that might happen). If I had originally asked for a refund and then bought a new UP or called Jawbone instead of dutifully going through tech support by e-mail, I would have wasted a lot less time, and I'd have an UP.

On the one hand, I feel for Jawbone--the UP is an excellent product with either a terrible battery or terrible charging software, and I hate to see Jawbone suffer as a company for manufacturing such a nifty device. On the other hand, I don't think Jawbone's customers should be punished for acting in good faith, for using web site tech support instead of phoning, or for failure of a product within 30 days--well within the warranty, regardless of whether it's 60 days or a full year.
Jawbone Newbie
jcamiloescobar

I received my UP band as a gift. My daughter bought it directly from Jawbone website on Jan. 9, got it mailed to a US address and had to wait some time for a relative to bring it to Medellin, Colombia where I live. When I finally got it by Feb. 9, I charged it as instructed, but it never worked. I was never able to see the green moon icon or perceive vibration. Another relative of mine is traveling to the US again this week, so I will send it with him. What is the procedure for getting a replacement? It can be done through a US address. Thank you.

Jawbone Member
wmerkel

All you have to do is go here https://jawbone.com/contact and put in the required information and what your problem is and they will contact you about it. As of now chance of getting your money back, even though your up NEVER worked are none. So a replacement is your only option.
Jawbone Newbie
Jamesbot
0 Kudos

I've been now waiting for two months, first for a replacement, but I was told only the mint version was available which I'm not interested in. I've then finally got them to agree to refund, but that was more than a month ago. I called the uk help desk and they told me its the fault of the us desk and they will get back to me. They haven't. It's the third jawbone product that I want to return ( jam box didn't work, up 1 failed, up 2 failed...) what a company. Mistakes happen, but at least the customer service should be a bit more respectful. No more jawbone products for me. Ever.
Jawbone Newbie
JoeH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've just requested my second UP replacement.  I first acquired UP five months ago and will soon be on my third UP.  

The UP is a useful product when it operates but it seems highly unreliable.  I've never showered with it and even take it off when gardening.  Very disappointing.

Jawbone Member
YaleWang
0 Kudos

I am in the same situation with you since three UP bands of my friends' and mine failed. We believe all batteries are dead hence could not be "soft/hard reset". We just don't believe the quality of the band anymore, so we would like a refund too.

But the customer care staffs repeated the 60-days refund policy. The bands stopped charging one after another in early september and how could we ask for refund prior to these events?

We all hope jawbone will give us a refund or we should join together and consult for legal advices and take further actions.

Jawbone Newbie
Ma3_Ma3
0 Kudos

I'm contacting them for the third time. It does not vibrate. The green light doesn't turn on. I'm on the second generation. This product sucks!